At long last, some details about our upcoming 9th Annual New York conference (4/14-16). Thank you for your patience! We’re excited to announce that the theme this year will be “Relief! The Boldness of Grace in a World of Expectation”, and we can confirm that the slate of breakout sessions will include:
- I’m New Here! What’s Going On? – Melina Smith and Bryan Jarrell
- Performancism 101: Achievement Culture and the Golden Calf of College – CJ Green
- Good Enough? Where Positive Psychology and the Gospel Meet – Sasha Heinz and Jacob Smith
- Grace Stinks: When the Healer Carries a Sword – Stephanie Phillips
- An Episco-Disco Primer: Exploring the Oddball World of Leftfield Christian Music (1975-1985) – John Zahl
- Good News at World’s End: Grace in Eschatology – Will McDavid
- Blessed Are Those Who Mourn: The Relief of Grief – Lauren Larkin
- Cheap Grace? A Fresh Look at Dietrich Bonhoeffer – Javier Garcia
- A Just Relief: How the Gospel Inspires Justice and Mercy – Raleigh Sadler
- The Most Foolish Job in the World: Planting a Grace-Centered Church – Jonathan Adams and Curt Benham
- Impossible is Nothing… and Everything – Nick Lannon
- Grace-based Healing Prayer – Laurel Marr and Ben DeHart
- The Future’s Past: Time Travel and Justification in Fiction, the Bible and You – Adam Morton
Other Special Events include: A Mockingbird at the Movies panel, the first-ever Friday night Episco-Disco (courtesy of DJ JAZ), and a live taping of The Mockingcast in which Scott Jones sits down with Paul Zahl to talk about the 10th anniversary of Grace in Practice, among other things.
We’re still waiting to hear from a couple of potential speakers (sorry!), but we can tell you that the line-up for the “main stage” already includes theologian Ted Peters, sociologist Eric Klinenberg, musician Derek Webb, comedienne-priest Sarah Condon, wannabe gentleman farmer Ethan Richardson, and blizzard enthusiast David Zahl. Our chaplains this year will be The Rev. Dave Johnson and The Rev. Nancy Hanna. Watch this space, and conference.mbird.com, for more details as they emerge.
Earlybird discounts expire this coming Monday, Feb 1st, at which point all other price options will be available. Again, thanks for your patience. We are really, really excited about this event. I mean, who doesn’t need a little relief?!
The human heart responds to story. Narrative is unique in its power to shape our imagination and inspire us to dream and, yes, even wake up. But stories can also trap and trick. Join us for The 2nd Annual Mockingbird Tyler Conference, March 18th-19th, as we welcome acclaimed Hollywood script developer and “story guru” Bobette Buster along with David Zahl, Ethan Richardson, Sarah Condon and Aaron Zimmerman of Mockingbird to explore the question we all must answer: “What’s The Story?”
To register, or find out more, click here.
Only a couple more left! This one comes to us from our esteemed conference magician:
Zen and the Art of Law and Gospel – Jim McNeely from Mockingbird on Vimeo.
Believe it or not, we’re not done with the videos from our 2015 NYC Spring Conference. Here’s a great one from Rev. Lannon:
Even My Slate? Jesus as the Ultimate Mr Clean – Nick Lannon from Mockingbird on Vimeo.
P.S. We’re hard at work nailing down everything for 2016 (4/14-16). Getting really excited! Look for an announcement in the next week.
Couldn’t be more excited about this one – the audio alone wouldn’t have made much sense. Just be sure you have the Kleenex box nearby:
Stories of Grace – John Zahl from Mockingbird on Vimeo.
This from our Calvary-St. George’s host, the one and only Rev. Jacob Smith
Absolution is Just – Jacob Smith from Mockingbird on Vimeo.
These gems come from our 2015 conference chaplain Jim Munroe.
Devotions – Jim Munroe from Mockingbird on Vimeo.
An enormous thanks to all those who make last week’s Renewal Conference at Kanuga happen. It was such a joy and privilege to be asked to provide the content, and spend a week with such a wonderful group of people (in such a beautiful place). Best of all, the time itself proved genuinely restful for all involved. The recordings of the main sessions are now up on The Mockingpulpit as well as the Recordings page, but for those who would rather stream or download directly from here, you’re in luck.
1. Rest for the Restless – David Zahl
2. Christian Obstacles to Rest – Jacob Smith
3. Rest in the Bible, part 1 – Jady Koch
4. Rest in the Bible, part 2 – Jady Koch
5. How Rest Is Applied – Jacob Smith
6. The Life of Rest – David Zahl
7. Closing Question and Answer Session – DZ, JS & JDK
We’re only just beginning to roll out the clips from our pair of Spring Conferences. Here’s the next installment from Tyler – same name but not the (exact) same talk as the Dylan-centric one DZ gave in New York a couple weeks later. Enjoy:
Lay Down Your Weary Tune – David Zahl from Mockingbird on Vimeo.
Happy Memorial Day! While those of us in Cville catch our breath, we thought we’d share the second video from our recent conference in Tyler, TX, Sarah’s fabulous (and hilarious) session on parenting:
Hiding in the Bathroom: Why Inspired Parenting Will Kill You – Sarah Condon from Mockingbird on Vimeo.