An abundance power pop this time around… You’re welcome.
Excited to offer up the following taste of the new issue of The Mockingbird:
“The song that launched a thousand sermons” is one way to describe Don Henley’s 1989 single “The Heart of the Matter”. Mark our words: the composition will outlive anything else the ornery Walden Pond advocate has written, “Hotel California” included—for no other reason than the fact that it still gets routinely name-checked in Sunday sermons across the world, more than 25 years after it was released. Of course, it is a great song. Even those who harbor reservations about The Eagles (e.g., Jeff Lebowski) recognize its power;…
As a special bonus this time, we’re proud to get to debut the title song from the forthcoming record There Will Be Rest by the ultra-talented Blake Flattley (who you may know from such places as Our Saviour NYC). You can listen to the song at the end of the playlist, or download the song by clicking here. The release party happens in NYC on June 26.
It’s a Lenten Britpop girl-group extravaganza!
We’re experimenting with a new format for our playlists. Hope you dig and Happy New Year!
P.S. That amazing Nettles song is an Mbird exclusive. Check out their stuff here.
Growing up the son of a liturgical Episcopal priest, Christmas music was verboten in our house until after the 4th Sunday in Advent. So, it makes me nervous when Dave makes me post my Xmas mix right as December dawns… Anywho, Jing Jing A Ling! Let me know what rings your bell.
- Fight Test – The Flaming Lips
- Writing’s on the Wall – OK Go
- Running Up That Hill (Deal With God) – Kate Bush
- Letters to Elise – The Cure
- O Girlfriend – Weezer
- Sit Down – James
- Alien – 20/20
- I Don’t Know What I Want – The Raspberries
- Long Song Comin – Bob Seger
- The North Star – Roddy Frame
- Hometown USA – Slaid Cleaves
- As Long As There’s You – The Partridge Family
- The Scientist – Aimee Mann
- Walk Away – Del Shannon
- Kisses of Fire – ABBA
- No More Looking Back – The Kinks
- Bible Black Starless Sky – Andy Fairweather Low
- Hymnsong – Sons of Bill
- Everything’s Tuesday – General Johnson and the Chairmen of the Board
- The Bitterest Pill (I Ever Had to Swallow) – The Jam
- Nuclear Boy – 2020
- Can I Borrow a Kiss? – The Knack
- No Substitute – The Shivvers
- So Long – ABBA
- Niemals Einer Meinung – Die Toten Hosen
- That’s How People Grow Up – Morrissey
- Lady With the Spinning Head – U2
- Glorious – Andreas Johnson
- Not a Second More – The Lees of Memory
- Elevate Me Later – Pavement
- The Creature from the Black Lagoon – Dave Edmunds
- Drinkin Days – Slaid Cleaves
- Cold Hands – Carl Anderson
- Why Go Alone – Chris Von Sneidern
- Dancing in the Dark – John Legend