I haven’t figured out yet whether this website is a spoof or not, but all satire aside, take a second to check out ifeelunmotivated.com. Developed to assist people with their various New Year’s resolutions, or those just stuck in life, the website is a collection of the best-of-the-best in inspirational pop culture. Everything is here: movie pep-talks, Nike & Gatorade commercials, and heart-wrenching human interest pieces from local TV news broadcasts. All of which are designed to motivate you out of your stuck-ness and spur you on to a healthy successful life.
- Mel Gibson/William Wallace’s Braveheart “Freedom” Speech
- The “Make a Man out of You” Training Montage from Disney’s Mulan
- Dwight Schrute Quote: “Don’t be an Idiot”
- TEDtalks, a series of inspirational/problem solving lectures
- Quotes from Helen Keller, Muhammud Ali, & Aristotle
- Bruce Lee’s exhortation to “empty your mind”
- The extremely catchy Discovery Channel “Boom De Ya Da” commercial
- And the obligatory Rosy the Riveter poster
Well, of course, the gospel tells another story. The gospel is the unmerited acceptance of the unmotivated. The world says “be successful,” and the gospel says “Jesus was successful for you.” The world says “surely, if you try hard enough, you can do it,” and the gospel says “I certainly cannot do it, and don’t call me Shirley (RIP Leslie Nielsen!)” The gospel is the release from motivational speakers and simply trying harder- it is the respite for the tired and weak who have tried too hard for too long.