Another Week Ends: Barbie, M. McLaren (RIP), Monoliths, MLK & Easter, MMORPG Addiction, and more…by John Zahl on Apr 9, 2010 • 11:38 am 1 Comment
1. Let’s just jump right in: Trololo!
2. In more important news, Barbie got ordained this week. “With her careers as veterinarian, astronaut and U.S. president behind her, Barbie has at last found her true calling: as a second-career Episcopal priest.“
3. Eddie S. Glaude contributed a sweet article about “Martin Luther King’s Easter Message” to CNN.com (ht DG).
This view holds off the notion that life has no meaning or is doomed to end in shipwreck. The fact that so many have lost their jobs, their homes, their dreams in these difficult times confirms for us that life carries with it a ‘Good Friday’ experience — that darkness and disappointment can be constant companions.
“But thank God the crucifixion was not the last act in that great and powerful drama,” King preached. “There is another act. And it is something that we sing out and cry and ring out today. Thank God a day came when Good Friday had to pass.”
4. Malcolm McLaren, famed manager of the Sex Pistols died this week. Whenever the question of grace and its relationship to antinomianism comes up, I always think of punk music/culture. Punk inclination seems to have much of its origins in “The Law”. Along these lines, consider McLaren, who (to quote wiki) “organised a boat trip down the Thames where the Sex Pistols would perform their music outside Houses of Parliament. The boat was raided by the police and McLaren was arrested, thus achieving his goal to attain publicity.”
5. Remember the monolith from 2001? Wired brings us the story of a modern-day equivalent in Georgia. It’s one of the cooler odes to new-age silliness that we’ve come across (ht JD).
“Clearly, whoever had the monument placed here understood one thing very well: People prize what they don’t understand at least as much as what they do.”
Even cooler new-age here (a personal all-time fave): Unarius: The Arrival (1979). Avatar eat your heart out!
6. We’re just days away from the MOCKINGBIRD CONFERENCE 2010! This is so exciting, and people are flying in from all over the world to tap into the pulse of the pure gospel message. Fitz, Rod, and Simeon are sure to blow minds! There is still some room and you can pre-register on our site, or feel free to show up (and register) the day of (Thurs, April 15, late afternoon). BUT if you plan to eat with us (in the sublime JP Morgan chapel, one of NYC’s best kept architectural secrets) , we need to know that beforehand. David is running around getting everything ready and that’s why he’s not posting the week’s update this go-round…
7. At the conference, we’ll also be premiering a new M’bird article: Grace in Addiction. You might start thinking along those lines, by catching up on the current state of online-role-playing-game addiction (and romance), by watching Second Skin. It’s also available for instant-viewing on Netflix.com. Click here to watch the trailer.
8. Lastly, check out this clutch “Slow-Motion Dancing” performance, from french performer Phax:
Or get in touch.